This recipe was from a Parents January 2004 article about making recipes that give you a meal now and extra to freeze for later
Serve: Chicken Potpie
Freeze: Potpie Filling
4 refrigerated piecrusts (2 15 oz pkgs), divided
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 pkg (32 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 Cup chopped onion
1 pkg (8 oz) sliced mushrooms
5 TBSP butter
½ Cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp poultry seasoning
½ Cup half-and-half
4 Cups cubed cooked chicken
1 Cup frozen peas
1 egg white
1. Heat oven to 400F. Unwrap 1 piecrust; place remaining 3 crusts in freezer. In glass bowl, combine carrots and ¼ cup chicken broth. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes. In skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more, stirring.
2. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and poultry seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Whisk in remaining broth, plus half-and-half. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in cooked carrots, onion mixture, chicken, and peas.
3. Using slotted spoon, transfer 4 cups of mixture to a container. Let cool, then freeze up to 2 months.
4. Place remaining mixture in 1-qt baking dish. Cut piecrust into 8 wedges. Place wedges in spoke-wheel design on top of potpie mixture. In bowl, whisk together egg white and 1 tsp water. Brush egg mixture over crust. Bake 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 360 cal; 17g protein; 20g fat; 27g carb; 33mg calcium; 2g fiber
4 cups chicken potpie filling (above) thawed
3 piecrusts, thawed
Heat oven to 400F. Cut each piecrust into quarters. Fill each quarter with 1/3 cup potpie filling, seal edges, and crimp with tines of fork. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes. Makes 12 packets.
Nutrition per packet: 332 cal; 8g protein; 19g fat; 30g carb; 16mg calcium; 1g fiber
1. I use the Martha Stewart Pie Crust Recipe
2. I make 2 big pies instead of 1 pie and potpie packets (the crust recipe makes enough for 2 pies)
3. I start with baby carrots to make the prep faster
4. I add broccoli and pre-cook it in the microwave about 3 ½ min using the same procedure used for the carrots, but I cook it separate from the carrots because of the different cooking times
5. I omit the mushrooms since a lot of people don’t like them
6. I substitute curry powder for the poultry seasoning
7. To get my cooked chicken, I bake frozen chicken breasts and then chop
8. I skip the egg wash
Thaw,cook uncovered at 350 for 45min - 1hour until crust is done and filling is bubbly. If cooking from frozen increase cooking time.