5 large baking potatoes, peel and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3/4 large yellow onion, chopped
32 oz. chicken broth
1/6 cup margarine
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup half-and-half plus 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. Combine first six ingredients in a slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours,until potatoes are tender.
3. Remove 1 1/2 cups of mixture and mash potatoes; return to cooker.
4. Add Half and Half and cheese; mix well.
5. Heat thoroughly.
6. To serve: Top with dollop of sour cream, sprinkles of cooked bacon and more cheese, if desired.
Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/low-fat-loaded-baked-potato-soup-283271?oc=linkback
1. Cook potato/soup portion for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
2. Mash potatoes if you'd like a smoother consistency.
3. Add half-and-half and 1 cup of cheese - HEAT THOROUGHLY (could take 1/2 hour or longer)
4. Serve with rest of shredded cheese and bacon (both provided) and chives and sour cream.
I added another half of the recipe from the original on food.com to make sure there would be enough per family. I also made the recipe with full flavor (fat) ingredients, except for 1/4 cup of fat-free half-and-half. We had this Christmas Eve and everyone loved it, just make sure it's heated all the way before serving.