Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chicken and Provolone Stuffed Focaccia

1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 1/2 cups warm fat-free milk (105° to 115°)
3 1/4 cups bread flour, divided
1 cup semolina or pasta flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
8 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese, divided
8 ounces thinly sliced chicken deli meat, divided
Additions of your choice (sundried tomatoes, artickoke hearts, pesto)

Dissolve yeast in warm milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Stir in 3 cups bread flour, semolina, oil, and salt to yeast mixture to form a stiff dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining bread flour, one tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking.

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down; divide dough ball in half.  Roll 1st half into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Place 2 ounces cheese down the center of the short length of dough; top with 2 ounces chicken and any other additions. Fold one short end of dough over filling. Place 2 ounces cheese, 2 ounces chicken, and other additions on top of fold. Fold remaining short end over filling, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat process with 2nd ball of dough.  Cover focaccia, and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Uncover dough. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.

Adpated from a Cooking Light recipe for Prosciutto and Provolone Stuffed Focaccia, October 1998

Frozen Mamas - Thaw.  Reheat entire loaf wrapped in foil in oven until warm or heat individual slices in the microwave.

1 comment:

  1. I thawed this, left it wrapped in foil and heated on the BBQ for about 20 minutes. It was cruchy on the bottom and heated through!